DIY Lego Table!! (Ikea Changing Table Hack)

Instructions for a DIY LEGO Table Hack from an IKEA Gulliver Changing Table! Make a Lego storage and play table for your kids from old baby furniture. This is a great way to recycle baby stuff into kid stuff.

Click on the image above to PIN to your Pinterest board!

My child is already OBSESSED with LEGOS…he’s only two! I’m obsessed with DIY and hacks. So I’m always on a mission to try and repurpose all the baby crap we accumulated (seriously, how can something so small need so much stuff?!?!?).

One Saturday morning I was in my basement and saw the Ikea Gulliver changing table just sitting there begging to be repurposed. And then, all of my Pinterest browsing ideas came together and presto! The DIY LEGO Table came to be.

What does the “Gulliver” changing table look like?

Below is what the changing table looked like before, it was a basic Ikea Gulliver changing table. I think we paid about $69 for it and it worked great until my child grew super fast!

Step-by-Step Instructions:

Step 1: Chop off the bottom.

I busted out the jigsaw (any excuse to use a power tool) and cut off the bottom. I left about 2 inches for new legs and sanded the rough edges from my hack job. It was surprisingly easy to smooth out.

picture of the bottom of an Ikea Gulliver Changing Table cut off with 2 inches left at the bottom for new legs

Step 2: Remove the bottom shelf from the sides.

Then I removed the bottom shelf from the bottom portion that was just cut off…with a little help 😊… just by unscrewing it from the sides. You can use the tool that came with the table or just a regular hexagon screwdriver.

photo of small child removing the screw from the sides of the shelf that was cut off ikea changing table

Step 3: Place the removed shelf on to the new top and add hinges.

The old bottom shelf fits perfectly on the new top! I took a quick trip to the hardware store and purchased 2 basic hinges that I placed at the back. So far the table is the perfect height for my little guy! I added some soft stick-on protectors in the corners so the top didn’t slam down (see notes below for more thoughts on this).

Step 4: Glue LEGO plates on the top.

I cut the sides of a few of the plates we had with utility scissors to make it a perfect fit on the top. Then I used Liquid Nails all-purpose glue to glue them down. I placed a few heavy objects on top so they would dry flat. The stripping on the sides is a peel and stick strip made to be compatible with LEGOS, another perfect fit!

Step 5: Add wheels! So, as with most DIY projects, this required another trip to the hardware store, but it was worth it. I found a pack of 4, easy to install casters and we were in business! I just followed the directions on the package, seriously so easy.

Step 6: Add organizational bins inside and at the bottom. I picked up some plastic bins from the dollar store and added the legos. I also placed 2 bins that I already owned at the bottom of the table to fill the open space. More storage!!

A few thoughts for this DIY LEGO Table Hack…

1. The wheels are great, but I wish they had locks on them. That’s what I get for going cheap but good to know for the next project.

2. The hinges also work great but the top is a little heavy. I’ve been searching for a solution for a soft close or hinge option, so far I haven’t found one that fits. When/if I do, I will update this post.

3. For now, we always supervise and ensure the table is by the wall so the top rests against it. So far it has worked out great.

If you want more recipes and DIY ideas, sign up for my mailing list. And, if you build this DIY Lego Table Hack, tag me on Instagram or Facebook and show me your project.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *