- 1 pound steak
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into small pieces (about 1 medium head of broccoli)
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2-4 teaspoon ground chili paste (I used Sambal Oelek)
- 4-5 green onions, green parts cut into strips (scallions)
- 2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1½ cups jasmine rice, rinsed
- 1½ cups water
Sticky Beef and Broccoli
Slice the steak into thin strips, as evenly sized as possible. Place them in a plastic bag with the cornstarch and cover all of the pieces. Allow the steak to rest while you are prepping the ingredients.
Add the canola oil to a cast-iron pan or large skillet over medium-high heat and allow it to heat up. Place the steak in the pan making sure each piece has room around it (this will probably take 2 rounds). Cook for about a minute, flip and cook for another minute on the other side. Remove the steak and place it in a bowl.
Add the broccoli to the same pan and coat with the remaining oil. Fry for about 2 minutes, remove it from the pan and place it in the bowl with the steak.
Add the ginger, garlic, soy sauce, water, brown sugar, and chile paste to the pan. Stir everything together and allow it to come to a boil. Put the steak and broccoli back into the pan and coat with the sauce.
Turn off the heat and stir in the green onions. Serve on top of the rice and sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds. Enjoy!
Jasmine Rice (Instant Pot)
Rinse the rice until the water runs clear. Add both the rice and water to the Instant Pot, put on the lid, and close the steam valve. Set to pressure cook HIGH for 7 minutes. Once the cooking is done, allow the steam to naturally release for 10 minutes and then carefully manually release the rest. Remove the lid, fluff with a fork, and serve. If you don't have an Instant Pot, you can also prepare the rice on the stovetop or in the microwave according to the directions on the package.
- If you don't have an Instant Pot, you can also prepare the rice on the stovetop or in the microwave according to the directions on the package.
- Always read the instruction manual that came with your Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker and follow all safety guidelines.
Calories: 655kcal | Carbohydrates: 85.7g | Protein: 48.1g | Fat: 11.7g | Saturated Fat: 2.5g | Cholesterol: 102mg | Sodium: 221mg | Potassium: 623mg | Fiber: 3.8g | Sugar: 12.9g | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 5mg
Any nutrition calculations are only estimates using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.