dutch oven or large pot
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 14.5 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 11 ounce can corn (I found fiesta corn with added peppers or you can use regular whole corn)
- 2 teaspoon ground dried Mexican chilis (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- tortilla chips or fried tortilla strips (see notes)
- queso fresco or shredded cheese
- sour cream
- sliced avocado
Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot over med-high heat. Add the onions and jalapeno and cook for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic and continue stiring for another minute.
Add the chicken, chicken broth, lime juice, tomatoes, black beans, corn, chili powder, Mexican chili powder, and cumin. Stir everything together and allow the mixture to come to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add salt and pepper to taste (this will depend on the type of canned goods you add and if your cooked chicken had any seasoning). Put in the cilantro, stir, and remove from the heat. Allow the soup to cool for a few minutes before serving. Place the tortillas on top and garnish with sour cream, avocado, and cheese if desired. Enjoy!
- How to make ground dried chiles: Cut off the stem of the chile at the top and empty the seeds out of the middle. Cut up the chile into small pieces and fill the In a coffee/nut grinder (or small food processor). Pulse until you have a fine powder.
- How to make fried tortilla strips: In a cast-iron pan or large skillet, heat the oil over med-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add half of the tortilla strips to the pan and allow to fry on one side. Use your metal tongs to flip and move the strips around for a few minutes. Once the tortillas start to brown, remove them from the oil and place them on a plate with a paper towel to catch the excess oil. Sprinkle with salt and allow to cool before serving.
- Nutrition facts are for soup ONLY, not added toppings or tortilla strips.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 178kcal | Carbohydrates: 9.3g | Protein: 18.6g | Fat: 7.7g | Saturated Fat: 1.4g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 960mg | Potassium: 499mg | Fiber: 2.5g | Sugar: 3.5g | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 2mg
Any nutrition calculations are only estimates using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.