- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tbsp walnuts (could also use pine nuts or almonds)
- ½ cup fresh carrot top greens
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, gently packed
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Add the garlic and nuts to the food processor and pulse until you get a paste.
Next, add the carrot greens, basil, and parmesan and continue to process until everything is nicely combined into another paste.
Drizzle in the olive oil while processing until you get the desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- I find that because this recipe has raw garlic if the pesto has a chance to chill in the fridge the spicy garlic flavor tones down a bit. You could also cook the garlic in the olive oil for a minute or two on the stove before adding if you want a milder, sweeter garlic flavor.
- If you like a thinner, sauce-like consistency you may want to add more olive oil or less if you like a thicker pesto.
- If storing this pesto in the fridge before serving, place plastic wrap directly on the surface to avoid a crust or discolorization.
Any nutrition calculations are only estimates using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.