Lemon Lavender Cupcakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon dried lavender buds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (zest your lemon BEFORE you juice it!)
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup milk, room temp
- 12 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temp (¾ cup)
- 4 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 4 cups powdered confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk or heavy cream
- 4 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- fresh or dried lavender buds for decoration
Lemon Lavender Cupcakes
Preheat the oven to 350°F and line your cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and lavender buds in a mixing bowl together and set aside.
In another bowl or stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, this takes a few minutes. Beat in the egg, lemon zest, and lemon juice until combined.
Add about a third of the dry ingredients and mix them into the butter mixture using a spatula or spoon. Be careful not to over mix, or your cupcakes will be dense. Add half of the milk and mix it in. Add another third of the dry ingredients and combine. Add the rest of the milk and the rest of the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
Fill liners with batter and bake for 20-22 minutes. Allow the cupcakes to cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then place on a cooling rack to cool completely.
Lemon Buttercream Frosting
Add the butter and shortening to a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Gradually add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time. After 4 cups, add the vanilla, milk, lemon juice, and zest. Add more powdered sugar if desired.
Fill a piping bag with frosting and put some onto each of the cooled cupcakes. After each cupcake has frosting on it, sprinkle with lavender buds so that they stick when the frosting hardens. Enjoy!
- To easily fill a piping bag, place it in a tall, shallow glass and fold it over the edges. You can easily fill the bag without making a mess!
- You could also make lavender sugar ahead of time and add it in place of sugar and buds. See my post on 5 Things you can do with your Coffee Grinder for how to do that!
- If you want a lighter cupcake, you can make a lemon glaze instead of the buttercream. Just mix 1 cup powdered sugar, 4-5 teaspoons lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Nutrition facts calculated using milk.
Serving: 1cupcake | Calories: 399kcal | Carbohydrates: 65.4g | Protein: 1.9g | Fat: 14.4g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 104mg | Potassium: 20mg | Fiber: 0.4g | Sugar: 56.8g | Calcium: 28mg
Any nutrition calculations are only estimates using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.