Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats
If you love rice Krispy Treats and you love to lick the spoon when you make a cake, you HAVE to try these Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats! It’s your favorite childhood treat, but with a twist…and sprinkles!
This blog post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through a link. Please see the full disclosure for further information.
When I discovered that you could make Rice Krispy treats that taste like cake batter and have sprinkles, I was in heaven! These Cake Batter Rice Krispy Treats hit the spot. I’ve mentioned before that I basically make cakes and cupcakes so I can eat the batter. Yes, I do it. Most people do. Be careful, it’s bad, blah, blah, blah.
So, back to this amazing recipe. Cake Batter Rice Krispy treats are not hard to make and only take about 10-15 minutes to pull together. Oh, and there are sprinkles. Lots of sprinkles. So you need these in your life.
How to Make Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats.
This recipe really is as easy as what you find on the outside of a cereal box or bag of marshmallows. The only difference is you are adding some dry cake mix and sprinkles! Melt the butter first, add the marshmallows and the cake mix and stir until everything is smooth and melted. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the cereal and sprinkles as quickly as possible. Once these treats start cooling it gets harder and harder to stir and remove from the pot!
Expert tip on how to create the most structured treats possible.
Now that everything is mixed in, you still have to work quickly to get the mixture into the prepared pan to cool. Pour everything into the pan and then spray your hands with a little bit of non-stick spray. Yes, your hands, they are your best tool after all! Press all of the mixture into the pan to condense it down as much as possible. This will give you nice, dense treats. Lastly, add MORE sprinkles and also press them into the top with your hands so they don’t fall off once they are cool. Now the hard part, allow the treats to cool for at least 20 minutes. Enjoy!
Make These Treats Anyway You Want!
Here’s the thing about these cereal treats. You can make them however you want. Less butter? Sure! More butter? Heck yes! Don’t have sprinkles? You will probably miss them but you will still have an amazing treat. Love marshmallows? Add more!! Want them crispier? Add more cereal! See what I mean?!?!? This is just one amazing version of these childhood treats that will never go out of style.
Want more fun and delicious dessert recipes? Check these out:
- No-Bake Cake Batter Mousse
- Easy Cake Bites
- Lemon Curd Filled Cupcakes
- Easy Passion Fruit Bars
- Easy Macaron Recipe for Beginners
Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats
- large pot
- 9 x 13 glass baking dish (or similar pan)
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 cups puffed rice cereal
- ½ cup vanilla or funfetti boxed cake mix (dry)
- sprinkles (I used 2 different types because…sprinkles!)
- non-stick spray (for hands when pressing into pan)
- Prepare your pan with non-stick spray. I use a 9×5 pan because I like nice and thick treats but you can use a 13×9 also or whatever you have. Glass is best because they stick less and it's easier to clean.
- In a large saucepot on medium-high heat, add the butter and melt completely. I always use a wooden spoon when making rice krispie treats, they are nice and stiff and clean pretty easily.
- Once the butter is melted, add the marshmallows and stir constantly until they are fully melted and nice and creamy. Remove from heat immediatly.
- Add the cereal and some sprinkles (unless you are suing funfetti mix) and stir quickly to fully mix in. Dump the mixture into your prepared pan and push down with your spoon to spread it all out. At this point, I spray my hands with non-stick spray and push everything down with my hands to get it nice and compact (be careful because the mixture may still be hot!). Add more sprinkles right away to the top and lightly press in with your hands as well.
- Allow the treats to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving, longer if you can resist. Enjoy!
Any nutrition calculations are only estimates using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Did you make this Cake Batter Rice Rice Krispie Treat recipe?
Thanks for checking out my site. If you made these treats, tag me on Instagram or Facebook and show me your creation! You can also sign up for my mailing list and receive a FREE download of Common Substitutions for Cooking and Baking as well as a Liquid Conversion Chart you can put on your fridge or save for future reference. And you get to be on my mailing list to receive fun and delicious recipes and cocktails right to your inbox. Score!