Air Fryer Jalapeño Popper Taquitos
Air Fryer Jalapeño Popper Taquitos are a cheesy, bacony, and roasted jalapeño peppery delight! This recipe is the favorite jalapeño popper appetizer wrapped in a corn tortilla and air-fried for a crispy and delicious treat!
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click a link and make a purchase, I may receive an affiliate commission at no cost to you. Please see the full disclosure for further information and thank you for your support!
I make Air Fryer Taquitos all the time. They are easy to make, take no time at all, and they are kid-approved which checks all the boxes in my house. Air Fryer Popper Taquitos take two of my favorite things in life: jalapeño poppers and taquitos and puts them together for one of the most amazing, savory, and decadent treats you can find!
Although these taquitos are cooked in the air fryer, they are made with a lot of cheese, bacon, and, of course, jalapeños. Needless to say, they are an indulgence, but one I am willing to take every once in a while 😁. Air frying does take some of the calories out from regular frying, and of course, these taquitos can also be fried in oil.
Ingredients Needed to Make Air Fryer Jalapeño Poppers
- corn tortillas
- large jalapeños
- shredded cheddar cheese
- cream cheese
- queso fresco
- green onions
Which Air Fryer to Use?
There are so many different types of air fryers out there now, and each one is slightly different. There are countertop air fryers, air fryer ovens, and air fryer attachments to name a few.
I have the COSORI Pro Air Fryer Oven Combo (shown below) and I love it. It does take up some counter space so make sure you have room for it. If you want a smaller option, check out the COSORI Small Air Fryer or an attachment for the Instant Pot.
How to Make Jalapeño Poppers Taquitos
- Prepare a baking sheet with foil, turn on the oven broiler to high and place the upper rack in the oven to the highest point. Broil the jalapenos for 15 minutes, flipping after each 5-minute interval. Remove the jalapeños from the pan and place them in a sealable plastic bag for 10 minutes to steam.
- Take the peppers out of the bag and remove the skin from each one. Cut off the top of the jalapeños, remove the seeds and cut each one in half.
- Place all three of the cheeses and the chopped green onions into a medium mixing bowl and stir together until everything is combined.
- Wrap the tortillas in a wet paper towel and microwave for 30-60 seconds to warm them up. Take a warm tortilla and stack a jalapeno half, some bacon pieces, and some of the cheese mixture in the middle. Tightly roll the tortilla into a taquito.
- Spray the basket of your air fryer with non-stick spray, place the rolled taquitos in the basket and spray again with non-stick spray. Cook at 400°F for 4 minutes.
Tips for Making Air Fryer Taquitos
- My secret to keeping taquitos rolled while cooking is toothpicks! One toothpick on either side of the rolls keeps the taquito nice and secure until it has been air fried. Just don’t forget to remove the toothpicks after cooking!
- Non-stick spray is your friend! You always want to spray the basket and food before air frying (unless otherwise noted) so that nothing sticks to the basket and the outside of your food gets nice and crispy.
- Tongs help make it safe and easy for pulling out hot food from an air fryer. Always be careful and use a utensil because it’s hot in there!
- Preheating the air fryer can make a difference. Preheating will help with even cooking and less wait time in the beginning. If you don’t preheat, the first batch will cook differently than the next, etc.
Other Air Fryer Recipes to Check Out
Air Fryer Jalapeño Taquitos
- 8 corn tortillas
- 3 large jalapeños
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and chopped into small pieces
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup cream cheese
- ½ cup queso fresco
- 3 stalks green onions, chopped (green part only)
Optional Garnish Ideas
- salsa and sour cream
Roast/Broil the Jalapenos
- Prepare a baking sheet with foil, turn on the oven broiler to high and place the upper rack in the oven to the highest point. Rinse the jalapeños and cut off the stems (otherwise they might catch on fire under the broiler 🔥).
- Place the jalapeños on the baking sheet and place under the broiler for 5 minutes. Flip the jalapeños over and continue to broil for another 5 minutes. Flip one more time to the side that needs the most char and broil for 5 more minutes. Remove the jalapeños from the pan and place them in a sealable plastic bag for 10 minutes to steam. After 10 minutes, remove the peppers from the bag. Be careful, they are hot! Place the jalapeños on a cutting board and remove the skin from each one. Don't worry about being perfect, just get as much off as you can. Cut off the top of the jalapeños, remove the seeds and cut each one in half.
- Place all three of the cheeses and the chopped green onions into a medium mixing bowl and stir together until everything is combined. Set the bowl aside. Wrap the tortillas in a wet paper towel and microwave for 30-60 seconds to warm them up. This will make it easier to roll them. Leave them wrapped in the paper towel until you are ready to use them.
Taquito Assembly and Air Frying
- Take one of the jalapeño halves and place it on top of a warm tortilla. Sprinkle some of the bacon pieces on top of the jalapeño. Add a dollop of the cheese mixture on top of the bacon. Roll the tortilla in a tight roll and place a toothpick on either end (this will help the taquito stay rolled while frying). Repeat this process with all of the tortillas.
- Spray the basket of your air fryer with non-stick spray. Place the rolled taquitos in the basket making sure there is a little room between each one and spray again with non-stick spray. Cook at 400°F for 4 minutes. Carefully remove the toothpicks with tongs, flip the taquitos, spray and cook for an additional 4 minutes. If you have a small air fryer like me, you will probably have to cook 2 batches.
- Once the taquitos are done, remove them from the basket and take out the toothpicks. Allow them to cool slightly before serving. Garnish with salsa and sour cream if desired. Enjoy!
- Always read the instruction manual that came with your Air Fryer and follow all safety guidelines.
Any nutrition calculations are only estimates using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Did you make These Air Fryer Jalapeño Popper Taquitos?
Want more fun and delicious recipes? Follow me on Pinterest and sign up for my email list so you never miss a recipe!