Healthy Shrimp Ceviche
If you love fresh meals and seafood, here is a Healthy Shrimp Ceviche recipe you can make at home any day of the week. This recipe is perfect for backyard get-togethers, chips and salsa time or a healthy weekday dinner.
It’s May in the Northwest which means it’s spotted prawn fishing season! We are so lucky to live in a place that provides fresh, healthy and delicious seafood. Instead of freezing the loot this year, we decided to eat them as fresh as possible.
One of my good friends, Oriana, gave me this Healthy Shrimp Ceviche recipe. She made this for me years ago and I still remember how amazing it was! She is a nutrition coach and a health enthusiast. You can follow her on Instagram @real_foodbeauty/.
Healthy and Fresh Shrimp Ceviche
- 1 lb shrimp (raw or cooked)
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno, diced (less seeds=less heat)
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 1 large lime, juiced
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 handful green onions, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop everything in a similar size, add to a large mixing bowl, mix thoroughly and allow to marinate in the fridge for at least 60 minutes before serving. If you are using raw seafood, marinate in the fridge overnight or until seafood is fully "cooked" through and not raw when you cut into it. The type of seafood and size will change the "cook" time.
- Serve with your favorite tortillas chips or pita chips and enjoy!
- You can also add white fish or crab for even more seafood goodness (cooked or raw). I would do all raw or all cooked when preparing.
- Next time I will dice my veggies a little smaller to make the chip dipping easier.
- I took out almost all of the seeds from the jalapeños and I should have left some. I’m kind of a wimp when it comes to spice, but it need a little more kick.
- I’m also adding chopped avocado next time for a creamy texture!
- Citrus juice will “cook” the raw shrimp. Always be careful when using raw ingredients and make sure it is fully cooked before eating.
Here are some more healthy and delicious dinner ideas:
Thanks for checking out this recipe. If you want even more fun and delicious recipes in your inbox, sign up for my email list. You can also follow me on Instagram @emilyfabulous_blog or tag me in a post of what’s on your plate.