Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef
This Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef is so quick and easy it will become a go-to for any family. This recipe has limited prep time, only 45 minutes of cook time, and endless serving possibilities!
This blog post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Please see the full disclosure for further information. If not otherwise stated, all prices are intended in US$ and all listed prices can change without notice.
It’s no secret that I LOVE Mexican food. So, when people ask me the question “If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?”…my answer is always “Something Mexican!”
One of the best things about Mexican cuisine is that there are so many possibilities of dishes to make once you have your meat. This Instant Pot Spicy Shredded Beef recipe will make dinner or serving a crowd so much easier. The other great thing about Mexican food is you can make it your own by adding extra spices, vegetables, or whatever you like.
Ingredients Needed for Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef
- olive oil
- stew meat or beef roast, cubed
- fresh garlic
- beef broth
- ground cumin
- ground cloves
- bay leaves
- canned chipotle peppers
- ground pepper
How to Make Shredded Beef with Mexican Spices
- Dry the beef well with a paper towel and cut it into equally sized cubes. Turn the Instant Pot to “Saute” mode, add the olive oil and allow it to heat up for 1-2 minutes. Add the beef pieces and brown on all sides for about 10 minutes.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the pot and stir together. Set the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook on HIGH for 45 minutes. Once the timer goes off, allow the pressure to release naturally.
- After the pin drops, carefully take off the lid and remove the bay leaves. Use your metal tongs to shred the beef and stir the juices. The picture below is just stirring with metal tongs!
How to Make this Shredded Beef More or Less Spicy
This recipe has canned chipotles in adobo sauce in it which are smoked and dried jalapeños rehydrated and canned in a purée of tomato, garlic, vinegar, and spices. I don’t like super spicy foods but these add a wonderful smokiness and flavor with just a little bit of spice. If you don’t want a lot of heat only add 1 or 2 peppers.
If you do want extra spice, add more chipotle peppers or try adding a fresh cut jalapeno or serrano pepper. Because I don’t like a lot of heat spice, I always start with less chipotle. You can always add spice, but you can’t it take away.
TIP: If you don’t use the whole can of chipotle peppers, which you probably will not, you can freeze the rest of them for your next batch of shredded beef or another dish.
Serving Suggestions for Spicy Shredded Beef
- Taco Salads
- Beef Sandwiches
- Beef Tortilla Soup
More Instant Pot Recipes To Try
- Instant Pot Green Chile Chicken
- Delicious Instant Pot Carnitas
- Quick and Easy Instant Pot Mac & Cheese
- Amazing Instant Pot Kalua Pork
- Instant Pot Frozen Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Lavender Cheesecake
Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef
- Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker
- metal tongs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1½-2 lbs stew meat or beef roast, cubed
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2-4 canned chipotle peppers
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- Dry the beef well with a paper towel and cut into equally sized cubes. Turn the Instant Pot to "Saute" mode, add the olive oil and allow it to heat up for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the beef pieces and brown on all sides for about 10 minutes.
- Once the meat is nice and brown, add all of the remaining ingredients to the pot and stir everything together. Lock the lid in place and close the steam vent. Set to Pressure Cook on HIGH for 45 minutes. Once the timer goes off, allow the pressure to release naturally before removing the lid. This step is important to help with the tenderness of the beef and will also make it easier to shred.
- After the pin drops, carefully take off the lid and remove the bay leaves. Use your metal tongs to shred the beef and stir the juices. Dinner is served!
- Always read the instruction manual that came with your Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker and follow all safety guidelines.
Any nutrition calculations are only estimates using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Cocktails That Go Well with Spicy Shredded Beef
- Coconut Lime Margarita
- Grapefruit Tequila Cocktail
- Frozen Strawberry Coconut Margaritas
- Cranberry Orange Margarita Recipe
Show Me Your Instant Pot Spicy Shredded Beef!
If you make this Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef recipe, tag me on Instagram or Facebook. You can also follow me on Pinterest and sign up for my email list so you can receive even more easy and delicious recipes in your inbox.