Mexican Pizza Recipe
This Mexican Pizza Recipe reminds me of that favorite fast-food restaurant’s menu item but it’s made with fresh ingredients and takes less than 30 minutes to put together!
Once upon a time, I frequented fast-food restaurants often. One of my favorite menu items was the Mexican pizza from the popular Mexican fast food joint. It was the best of all things: melty cheese, spicy sauce, flavorful meat and beans in between two crunchy tortillas. Yum! So of course, I needed a Mexican Pizza Recipe ASAP.
Now that I’m older and wiser ?…and a much better cook, I haven’t had fast food in a long time. But, that doesn’t mean I still don’t want some of my favorite things from those places. Enter: the Mexican Pizza Recipe.
This recipe is written assuming your meat is already cooked. That makes this recipe great for leftovers! I used my Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef for the pizza shown. You can also use ground beef, shredded chicken, etc. Or, if you are a vegetarian or don’t have any meat on hand, you can leave it out.
- 1 can refried beans, pinto beans or black beans
- ½ cup jarred salsa (I use Pace or La Victoria, medium)
- 2-3 tbsp milk (optional)
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 cups precooked Mexican shredded beef or meat of your choice
- 3-4 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, monterey, pepper jack, etc.)
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- 1 can sliced olives
- 3-4 stalks green onions, chopped
- sour cream
- 1-2 small tomatoes, diced
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Place the beans in a small saucepan (if you are using whole pinto or black beans you can smash with your spoon as you cook them if you would like them to be easier to spread). Add the milk and salsa and keep over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Place a large cast-iron or fry pan over med-high heat and spray with non-stick spray. Allow the pan to heat up and place one flour tortilla in the pan. Cook for about 1 minute and flip to cook the other side. These take about 2-3 minutes to cook/crisp up. They will bubble in some areas, you can pop these bubbles with your spatula or a fork so the tortilla lays flat in the pan. Once the tortilla is crispy on both sides, remove it from the pan and place on a plate. You will end up with 8 crispy tortillas for assembly.
- You are going to want to heat up your meat as well. You can microwave it or re-heat it over the stove. Your stove is probably pretty crowded with tortillas crisping and beans heating so the microwave might be your best option.
- Now it's time to assemble the pizza! It's easiest to assemble right on the prepared baking sheet. Take one flour tortilla and spread a layer of beans all over leaving about ½" around the edges. Add some of the meat on top of the beans then sprinkle a thin layer of cheese over the meat.
- Place another flour tortilla on top of the first layer. Take a spoon and spread out the enchilada sauce in a thin layer all over the top of the second layer (the enchilada sauce will heat in the oven so there is no need to pre-heat). Sprinkle the enchilada sauce with another layer of cheese and then sprinkle on some black olives.
- Repeat the assembly for the remaining 3 pizzas. Once the pizzas are ready to go, place them in the oven for 8-10 minutes until all the cheese has melted.
- Remove the pizzas from the oven and sprinkle with the green onions and tomatoes. You can add the sour cream to the top as well or serve on the side. I used my pizza cutter to cut the pizzas into 4 pieces. Enjoy!
My family has already had this meal 3 or 4 times since I put it together and that was only like 2 weeks ago. As with most things I make nowadays, this recipe is definitely kid-friendly. Keep an eye on the spiciness of the enchilada sauce, etc. if you are making this for the kiddos.
Want more Easy & Delicious recipes??? Check out these:
- Roasted Veggie Cheese Quesadillas
- Easy Drunken Noodles
- Instant Pot Mac & Cheese
- Easy Cherry Crumble Bars
- Lemon Curd Filled Cupcakes