These cute and easy Blueberry Puff Pastry Stars are perfect for the Fourth of July, Memorial Day, or just for a fun pastry treat! Fresh blueberries and a delicious cream cheese filling make these stars irresistible.
I wanted to make some fun-shaped puff pasty treats for my family and came up with these Blueberry Puff Pastry Stars. These stars are great because they can be an everyday treat or decorated with red icing for the perfect patriotic treat for Memorial Day or the Fourth of July!
You can use homemade or store-bought puff pastry to make these flaky treats. Combine that with a sweet cream cheese filling and fresh blueberries and you will have a crowd-pleasing pastry.
If you are looking for more fun red, white, and blue treats, check out my Air Fryer Star Donuts and my Rice Krispie Treat Stars!
How to Make Blueberry Puff Pastry Stars
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the cream cheese, vanilla, and powdered sugar in a bowl. Mix well with a spatula or spoon and set aside.
- Use the star cookie cutter to cut out stars in the puff pastry dough.
- Score the top of each star with a sharp knife making an "x" on top.
- Place the cream cheese mixture into the middle of each star and spread it out just before the edges.
- Place some blueberries in the middle of the stars and use the pastry brush to brush the egg wash along the edges.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the pastry becomes golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
What Puff Pastry to Use?
Puff pastry is actually pretty easy to make with only 4 ingredients. Check out my recipe for Quick and Easy Puff Pastry and you can have puff pastry on hand at all times.
Just remember it has to sit in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour before use. If you don't want to make your own puff pastry, you can always use store-bought.
If your puff pastry is frozen, you will want to thaw it in the fridge for 3-4 hours before using it. You can also take it out of the freezer the night before and allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight.
Make Red Icing to Make These Red, White, and Blue!
These star-shaped treats are perfect for holidays like Memorial Day or the Fourth of July. Just make a quick red icing and you will have patriotic pastries!
Place the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla in a bowl and whisk together. Add the red food coloring and fully incorporate. When the pastries have cooled, drizzle the icing on top of each star and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
What to do with the extra puff pastry dough
Since you are making star cutouts, you will have some leftover puff pastry dough. I try to limit kitchen waste as much as possible, especially when delicious puff pastry is involved!
You can create smaller odd-shaped pieces of puff pastry and bake them to create delicious bites of baked puffed pastry! Dip them in your coffee or spread some fresh jam on top. No waste and extra goodies!
Tips for Making Blueberry Puff Pastry Dessert
- Puff pastry needs to be as cold as possible when going into the oven to create flaky and delicious treats. If you feel like your puff pastry has been out too long, just place it back in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- Parchment paper or a silicone mat is very helpful when baking these pastries so they don't stick to the pan.
- Don't put too many blueberries on top of your stars or they will just be a soggy mess.
- The egg wash is an important step because this helps the puff pastry become nice and brown.
- These Blueberry Pastries will last in the fridge for 1-2 days in a covered container.
Tools for Making These Puff Pastry Stars
I used a 4" cookie cutter which seemed to be a perfect size for these pastries.
As I mentioned, you also want to use parchment paper to keep these treats from sticking. I love these parchment sheets that are pre-cut.
And for your powdered sugar sprinkling, this little shaker makes the perfect presentation and comes with a lid for storage.
Blueberry Puff Pastry Stars
- 2 small mixing bowls
- star-shaped cookie cutter
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 8 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoon confectioners powdered sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 large egg, beaten
Red Icing (optional)
- ¼ cup confectioners powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- red food coloring
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 400°F. Combine the cream cheese, vanilla, and powdered sugar, mix well with a spatula or spoon, and set aside.
- Spread out the puff pastry onto a floured surface. If it's not already in a rectangle, roll it out to about ¼" thick. Use the star cookie cutter to cut out as many stars as you can. Place the stars on the baking sheet before assembly, otherwise, they are hard to move. Score the top of each star with a sharp knife making an "x" on top. Be careful not to go all the way through the pastry.
- Place about 1 teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture into the middle of each star and use the back of a spoon to spread it out just before the edges. Place some blueberries in the middle of the stars (about 12 on each star). Use the pastry brush to brush the egg wash along the edges of the stars.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the pastry becomes golden-brown. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- If you are going to add icing on top, place the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla in a bowl and whisk together. Add the food coloring and fully incorporate. When the pastries have cooled, drizzle the icing on top of each star and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- These pastries are best when enjoyed immediately, but will last in the fridge for 1-2 days in a covered container.
Any nutrition calculations are only estimates using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Did you make these Blueberry Puff Pastry Stars?
If you make this Blueberry Puff Pastry Star recipe, don't forget o leave a comment below. You can also tag me on Instagram or Facebook!
Do you want more fun and delicious recipes? Sign up for my bi-monthly email list and follow me on Pinterest so you never miss a recipe!
Super cute how you made them and the blueberries was amazing too
Gina Abernathy says
A wonderful dessert and a great way for me to use all of my fresh blueberries.
Yes! Fresh blueberry pastries are the best!