Blueberry Buckle Muffins taste just like the traditional cake but in a bite-sized version. These have fresh blueberries and a cinnamon crumble topping. They are easy to make and much more exciting than a basic blueberry muffin.
If you love blueberries and muffins, this recipe is for you. A buckle is usually in cake form but anything can be a cupcake! Everything is from scratch but super easy and super quick to put together. These are a great alternative to a basic blueberry cupcake.
I got the inspiration for this recipe from my trusty, dusty Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. I've had my copy for almost 20 years and I still use it often for ideas or easy, tried, and true recipes. I added a few things to the recipe and adapted it to be in cupcake form. These are like a bite of summer in a cupcake, almost like a blueberry crumble with a dense cake bottom...yum!
These are best served warm and as quickly as you can. Leftovers are delicious the next day with coffee but they don't last more than a few days.
Ingredients Needed for Blueberry Buckle Muffins
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- unsalted butter, room temp
- vanilla extract
- fresh blueberries
- ground cinnamon
- freshly grated nutmeg (or ground nutmeg)
How to Make These Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside. In another mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add the egg and continue to beat until fluffy. Stir the vanilla into the milk in a separate bowl or container.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir in. Add half of the milk with vanilla and mix in. Repeat until everything has combined and smooth. Spoon mixture into the liners. Sprinkle the blueberries on top of the batter.
- Add all of the topping ingredients to a bowl and cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or fork until you have a nice crumble. Add the crumble to the top of each cupcake and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes until the top is just getting golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
More Dessert Recipes to Check Out
- Easy Lemon Curd Filled Cupcakes
- Lemon Lavender Cupcakes
- Candied Ginger Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Candy Cane Cupcakes
If you get a chance to make these Blueberry Buckel Muffins, tag me on Instagram or Facebook and show me, or leave a review below! You can also follow me on Pinterest and sign up for my e-mail list to receive more fun and delicious recipes right in your inbox.
Blueberry Buckle Muffins
- cookie/ice cream scoop
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temp (1 stick)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (or ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare a cupcake pan with liners. In a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until creamy, about 4-5 minutes. Add the egg and continue to beat until fluffy. Add the vanilla to the milk in a separate bowl or measuring cup and stir together.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir in. Add half of the milk with vanilla and mix in. Repeat until everything is combined and smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the liners. The batter is VERY sticky and thick so this is a little tricky. I used a cookie scoop and then patted down the batter with a spoon.
- Sprinkle the blueberries on top of the sticky batter.
- Add the topping ingredients to a bowl and cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or fork until you have a nice crumble. Add the crumble to the top of each cupcake. Bake for about 30 minutes until the top is just getting golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Carefully remove the cupcakes from the pan and allow them to cool on a rack for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Any nutrition calculations are only estimates using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.