Quick and Easy Puff Pastry
A quick and easy recipe for puff pastry from scratch that is a game-changer for anything from dinner to desserts to appetizers. You will never buy store-bought again. Oh, and it’s only 3 ingredients!
This blog post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Please see the full disclosure for further information. If not otherwise stated, all prices are intended in US$ and all listed prices can change without notice.
I had no idea puff pastry was so easy to make! It may have been a mistake to learn because I have a soft spot in my heart for all things made with puff pastry, sweet or savory.
What is Puff Pastry?
Puff pastry, or pâte feuilletée in French, is a dough that becomes super light and flaky when baked. The process to make puff pastry includes making a laminated dough which is folding the dough and rolling it out several times to get layers of dough and butter. When the dough bakes, the gaps in the layers dill with steam and create the delicious flakiness you know and love.
Puff Pastry Is Made with Just 3 Ingredients
All you need to make your own puff pastry dough at home is cold butter, all-purpose flour and ice cold water. That’s it! If you are making a dessert with the puff pastry you can add a little sugar and if you are using unsalted butter, you could also add some salt if desired.
How to Make Quick and Easy Puff Pastry Dough
- Place some ice and water into a small bowl or glass to ensure the water is nice and cold when you need it.
- Put the flour in a mixing bowl. Grate the chilled butter into small pieces and add it to the bowl with the flour.
- Use a pastry cutter to combine the flour and butter into a crumble.
- Measure the chilled water and add it to the flour mixture. Stir everything to combine.
- Once combined as best as possible, use your hands to form the dough into a ball.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and pat it into a square using your hands.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a rectangle.
- Fold the dough into thirds, rotate it sideways, roll it out into a rectangle again and repeat at least 5-6 more times.
- Place the dough in a ziplock bag and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using.
Tips for Making Puff Pastry
- The pastry has to chill for an hour before you use it so plan ahead.
- Puff pastry dough freezes really well. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container or ziplock bag in the freezer for up to 2 weeks. Thaw it in the fridge overnight before using it.
- If you don’t have a pastry cutter, you can also use a fork.
- Grating butter is a neat trick to help with cutting in the butter quickly and easily.
Some ideas for the Quick and Easy Puff Pastry:
- Chicken Pot Pies
- Fruit Danishes
- Pizza or Pizza Rolls in the air fryer (recipe coming soon)
- Pasty (that one is for you guys in Wisconsin!)
Quick and Easy Puff Pastry
- Rolling Pin
- cheese grater
- pastry cutter
- medium mixing bowl
- zipper plastic bag
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 10 tbsp butter, chilled salted or unsalted (add 1/4 tsp salt if unsalted)
- ⅓ cup ice-cold water
- Put some water and ice in a small bowl or cup to get the water nice and chilled before using.
- Place the flour in a mixing bowl. Use your cheese grater and grate your chilled butter into the bowl with the flour.
- Use a pastry cutter to combine flour and butter into a crumble.
- Measure the chilled water and add it to the flour mixture. Stir to combine as best as possible. Use your hands to form a dough ball. You should see bits of butter, which is what you want.
- Place the dough ball on a lightly floured surface and pat it into a rectangle using your hands. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a rectangle.
- Fold the dough into thirds, rotate sideways, roll it out into a rectangle again and repeat 5 or 6 more times.
- Place the dough in a ziplock bag and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using. Once chilled, use your dough for whatever recipe you are making.
Any nutrition calculations are only estimates using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
More Easy Recipes To Try
- Super Easy Pizza Dough
- Quick Pita Bread Recipe
- Pull-Apart Cinnamon Bread
- Easy Instant Pot Pumpkin Puree
- 5 Things You Can Do With Your Coffee Grinder
Show me your Quick and Easy Puff Pastry!
Did you make this recipe?? Tag me on Instagram or Facebook and show me what you made! If you love this recipe, follow me on Pinterest and sign up for my mailing list and I will send you more fun and delicious recipes right to your inbox.