The Last Word Cocktail is a classic craft cocktail made with fresh lime, maraschino liqueur and Green Chartreuse. A luxurious mix of tart, sweet and herbal tastes that blend perfectly. There is a reason this drink has been around for so long!
The Last Word Cocktail was one of my first craft cocktail experiences and changed my view of cocktails and gin forever! I had no idea what Green Chartreuse was. I also had no idea you could produce so many different flavor profiles in one glass!
The first time I had a Last Word was at a small cocktail bar in Portland called The Box Social. The bar had a mix of classics in their menu and did an amazing job of mixing and presenting them. That's another thing I have quickly learned about cocktails, preparation and presentation make a HUGE difference in the way the cocktail tastes. You can't just throw ingredients in a shaker and expect it to taste amazing.
So, the lime juice MUST be fresh along with a lime peel to extract the oil and aroma for the glass. Fresh ice and a good long shake will also help make this cocktail extra delicious. You'll notice in my photo I put the cherry at the bottom of the glass, really it should be presented as a garnish on a stick and the consumer can decide if they want it in the drink. It will change the taste of the drink.
How to Garnish This Cocktail
Because the last word has lime juice and maraschino liqueur in it, the most common garnishes are a maraschino cocktail cherry and/or a lime twist. You can purchase cocktail cherries at most grocery stores and liquor stores, however, they tend to be a little expensive. If you want to make your own cherries, check out my Amarena Cherry recipe or my Luxardo Cherry recipe for DIY cocktail cherries!
What bar tools do I need to make a Last Word Cocktail?
To make a great cocktail, you need some essential tools. To make a Last Word you are going to need a cocktail shaker, a jigger to measure, and a strainer. Some cocktail shakers have a built-in strainer which will work fine. I would recommend getting a bar strainer eventually. Check out my post on the best essential tools for home bartenders.
Last Word Cocktail
- ¾ ounce gin
- ¾ ounce Green Chartreuse
- ¾ ounce Maraschino Luxardo Liqueuer
- ¾ ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- amareno cherry for garnish
- Chill a cocktail glass ahead of time. Right before you shake your cocktail, take a piece of lime peel and twist it over the chilled glass to get the oils to spray on the glass. Also, take the twisted peel and rub it along the rim of the glass. The aroma of the lime and the subtle taste of the oils will take this drink from good to great!
- Add all of the liquid ingredients to a cocktail shaker with ice and shake for 20-30 seconds. Strain into prepared glass. Garnish with a cherry and lime wedge or peel. Cheers!
- Amareno or Luxardo cherries have a very unique flavor and texture. They are also a little expensive so if you can't find them or want an alternative, check out my Homemade Luxardo Cherry Recipe for another option!
Any nutrition calculations are only estimates using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
More Cocktail Recipes to try:
- The Modern Negroni
- Classic Daiquiri
- Black Walnut Bitters Cocktails
- Lilac Gin Cocktail
- Grapefruit Tequila Cocktail
If you want more cocktail and food recipes, sign up for my mailing list to get them right to your inbox. You can also follow me on Instagram @emilyfabulous_blog or like my Facebook page. Lastly, don't forget to PIN this recipe for later!