Easy Passion Fruit Bars
Here is a delicious recipe for Easy Passion Fruit Bars that taste like a vacation! This sweet and tart bar is so easy to make, and with only a few ingredients, anyone can whip these up for family and friends.
This blog post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase by using one of the affiliate links provided in this article, then I might get a small commission at no extra expense to you. All listed prices are subject to change without notice.
This is another recipe that came from our recent trip to Hawaii. Passion fruit, or lilikoi, grows like a weed out there! Passion fruit grows on a vine and not only has some of the most beautiful and intricate flowers but some of the most delicious fruit as well! I knew I had to make a recipe while I was there and these Easy Passion Fruit Bars were a hit!
How to Make Passion Fruit Bars.
First, you will make the crust. This is a simple bar crust with butter, confectioners powdered sugar, and flour. Then you will mix up the passion fruit puree with sugar, eggs, flour, and baking powder. Everything bakes together for about 35 minutes and then cooled in the fridge for an hour. Once the bars are nice and cold, sprinkle with a little more confectioners sugar and enjoy!
Where can you find passion fruit?
If you’re not in Hawaii, sometimes you can find passion fruit in the grocery store or in the frozen section. I’ve had the best luck at my local Mexican Grocery Store, but I’ve also heard they can be found at Asian specialty grocery stores as well. Fresh is always best, but frozen will work just as well for these special little bars. Here is what they look like, there are a few varieties out there.
How to make the crust.
This crust recipe is a simple bar crust that is as versatile as it is easy. You can use this crust recipe for lemon bars or any other bar you would like. First you will whisk together the flour and confectioners sugar. Then you will cut in the cold butter and press the mixture into the bottom of a baking pan. Bake the crust at 350º for 15 minutes just as the edges are turning brown. Allow the crust to cool as you make the filling.
How to make passion fruit puree.
If you are lucky enough to have fresh, ripe passion fruit you can make your own puree. Cut the fruit in half and dig out the middle with a spoon. Add the fruit to a food processor or blender and give it a quick pulse to remove more of the pulp and juice from the seeds. Strain the mixture into a bowl and you have your puree.
How to make the filling for the bars.
Once you have your passion fruit puree, you are ready to make the filling. If you don’t have fresh passion fruit, you can also use frozen puree. Whisk all of the filling ingredients together in a large mixing bowl starting with the eggs first. TIP: after whisking, there will be some bubbles. Allow the mixture to settle before baking in the oven.
Plan for cooing time, these bars are best served cold.
Once you have the puree filling added to the crust. You are ready to bake! Bake for 30-35 minutes until the center is firm. Remove the bars from the oven and allow to cool enough to be able to put the dish in the refrigerator. The bars need to be in the fridge for a MINIMUM of an hour. Make sure they are cold all the way through. Not only does that mean they are done they are easier to cut and the sprinkle of confectioners sugar will not melt. Finally, you can enjoy these tropical treats!
Easy Passion Fruit Bars
- baking pan 9×13
- strainer (if you are remiving seed or extra pulp)
- large mixing bowl
- rubber spatula
- food processor or blender (if you are making your own puree)
- pastry cutter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup powdered confectioners sugar
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter
Passion Fruit Filling
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ⅔ cup passion fruit puree
- powdered confectioners sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare your baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Whisk the flour and powdered sugar together in a mixing bowl. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or your hands. Place the crust mixture into a baking pan (your crust will be thicker or thinner depending on the size of your pan). Press into the bottom of the pan and up the sides as much as you can.
- Bake the crust in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until the edges are just starting to brown.
Passion Fruit Filling
- While your crust is baking, whisk the eggs in another mixing bowl until fully beaten together. Add sugar one cup at a time and fully whisk in. Add the flour and baking powder and continue to whisk. Finally, add the passion fruit puree and ensure everything is well combined.
- By now your crust is probably out of the oven. Once the crust is ready, add the passion fruit mixture and place back into the oven for another 30-35 minutes. It's done when the center is firm.
- Remove from oven and allow the pan to cool until it can be placed in the fridge for at least an hour to cool and set. Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!
More easy and delicious dessert recipes to try:
- Cherry Crumble Bars
- Easy Lemon Curd Filled Cupcakes
- Super Soft Sugar Cookies
- Homemade Snickers Bars
- Saltine Cracker Caramel Bars
Did you make these Easy Passion Fruit Bars?
As always, don’t forget to follow me on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest and tag me in your photo if you try these or any of my other recipes! You can also sign up for my mailing list and receive dun and delicious recipes right to your inbox.
Passion fruit photo by Marcello Aquino on Unsplash.