Fresh Mango Galette
This Fresh Mango Galette recipe is so delicious and easy to make. With fresh mangos, lime zest and a buttery sugary crust, everyone will love this dessert. It’s perfect for a summer party, the beach or anytime you feel like a tropical treat!
We were recently in Hawaii and the fresh tropical fruit options were endless!! Our friends have this amazing mango tree that just happened to be raining ripe mangos when we were there. Of course, I had to make some sort of dessert (and drink 🍹) with these amazing fruits.
Galettes are a great pastry dessert option because they are fairly easy to make, they don’t have to be perfectly assembled and they still turn out amazing. Since I was in my friend’s kitchen, I knew this would be a great option since tools and supplies were limited.
This Fresh Mango Galette recipe includes a homemade crust but you could also use store-bought. If you make your own dough, it has to be refrigerated at least an hour before assembly, so keep that in mind before you get started.
Fresh Mango Galette
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 2-4 tbsp ice water
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 cups fresh mango, peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- In a mixing bowl add flour, salt and sugar. Add cold butter pieces and ice water a little at a time and combine with a pastry cutter, food processor or hands until you have a nice crumbly mixture. If you use your hands, wash them with cold water first so they don't melt the butter too much. (Hands are not ideal, but I was visiting a friend and had no other option…It turned out fine.)
- Pat the dough into a ball and place on a piece of plastic wrap. Press dough into a flat disc and wrap with plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator for at least an hour so its nice and firm and cold. You can also make this a day or two ahead of time and it freezes well in a zipped plastic bag.
Mango Filling and Baking
- Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine all the filling ingredients and gently stir to combine.
- Once your dough is nice and cold and firm, place on a lightly floured surface and begin to roll out with a rolling pin. Start in the middle and work out and get to the desired thickness and size. Be careful not to stretch the dough. You just need a rough circle so don't be too picky. Remember, galettes are "rustic"!
- Put rolled out dough on prepared baking sheet and place mango filling in the middle. Fold the edges of the dough over the filling all the way around. Don't worry about being perfect or even, just make sure all the filling stays put (In my photo there is no parchment because, again, I was at a friend's and the baking supplies were limited. It worked out fine, but parchment makes it easier to remove from the pan and less mess to clean up).
- Whisk the egg and brush the top of the dough with it. Sprinkle the dough generously with the brown sugar.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the filling is bubbling and the crust is golden brown. I think I waited for a touch too long to remove this one (and it wasn't my oven). However, the semi-burnt sugar on the homemade crust with the mango filling was TO DIE FOR!!! It was so good and when I make this again, I think I will let the sugar slightly burn again before removing from the oven.
- Galettes are meant to be rustic. Don’t worry about the shape or perfect folds, etc. It will taste amazing no matter what! And it’s fun to put together, you could definitely make with kids!
That’s it! After I took this out of the oven, we immediately dug in. This galette disappeared so quickly we didn’t even have time to serve it with ice cream! I hope you have a chance to make this recipe and find out for yourself, it’s totally worth it!
If you are curious about what drink we made, it was Fresh Mago Margaritas. So good. I just took mango puree, tequila, triple sec, lime and lemon juice, added it to a blender with ice and was in heaven 😁.
Here are some more of my fresh fruit recipes to check out:
If you make this recipe, tag me on Instagram @emilyfabulous_blog or Facebook and show me what you made!! And, don’t forget to sign up for my email list so you can get even more amazing recipes in your inbox!