Coconut Margarita Cocktail and Cupcake
If you like margaritas and you like coconut, then you HAVE to try a this Coconut Margarita Cocktail and Cupcake recipe using coconut tequila! It’s such a perfect combination of sweet and citrus and it smells and tastes amazing!
Apparently, February 22 is (was) National Margarita Day. So I decided to celebrate this very important day with one of my favorite margaritas, the Coconut Margarita! And then I figured since I had the tequila out, why not make a Coconut Tequila Cupcake to go with it?!? And so begins the Adventures of a Cocktail and a Cupcake…Coconut Margarita Cocktail and Cupcake!
First, the Coconut Margarita recipe. It’s very easy to make, you just have to find some coconut tequila. The first time I had a coconut margarita was by the water in Tacoma. We just purchased our boat and had it moored up next to a cute little bar and grill. It was perfect. Perfect seafood, perfect cocktails and a perfect view. I asked the bartender how in the world the coconut margarita had so much flavor and he showed me the bottle of 1800 Coconut Tequila and the rest is history!
Coconut Lime Margarita
- cocktail shaker
- 2 oz 1800 Coconut Tequila
- 2 oz fresh lime juice
- ½ oz agave syrup
- toasted coconut for the rim (see tip below)
- lime wedge for garnish
- Prepare glass by rimming top with agave syrup or lime juice and dip into the toasted coconut. Add fresh ice to the glass.
- Add all ingredients to a shaker with ice, shake and pour into prepared glass.
- Add lime wedge, serve and enjoy!
And if that wasn’t enough lime and coconut for you, here is the recipe for a Coconut Margarita Cupcake with Coconut Tequila Frosting. A boozy baked treat that tastes just like the drink!
Coconut Margarita Cupcakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
- ½ cup milk
- 1 large egg, room temp
- ¼ tsp coconut extract
- 1 tbsp 1800 Coconut Tequila (optional)
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 325° and prepare cupcake pans with liners.
- Zest lime, then juice it. This is it's own step because sometimes we forget and it's a facepalm moment ??♀️.
- Place butter and sugar in the mixer and beat until creamed. While butter is mixing, sift flour, baking powder and salt into a separate mixing bowl.
- Put egg, milk coconut extract and tequila in a bowl and whisk together.
- Add flour mixture and egg mixture about 1/3 at a time and beat until just mixed in.
- And lime juice and zest to bowl and mix just until smooth, you don't want to overmix!
- Scoop batter into cups and bake for 22-24 minutes.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Once the cupcakes have fully cooled, frost and enjoy!
Coconut Tequila Frosting
- 1 cup shortening (you can use butter but the shortening helps with structure and less butter flavor)
- 1-2 tbsp 1800 Coconut Tequila (optional if you are making for kiddos)
- ¼ tsp coconut extract
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 4 cups powdered confectioners sugar
- 3 tbsp milk
- green gel food coloring
- lime zest for garnish
- toasted coconut for garnish (see tip below)
- Add shortening, tequila, coconut extract and lime juice to bowl and mix for 30 seconds.
- Add 2 cups powdered sugar and mix in.
- Add 2 tablespoons milk, mix in.
- Add remaining powdered sugar, milk and the food coloring and beat until smooth.
Quick tip for toasted coconut
**Did you know you can toast coconut in the microwave?? Place sweetened coconut on a microwave-safe plate, cook for 1 minute. Remove from microwave and stir around. Put back into the microwave for 20-30 second intervals, stirring after each time to even out cooking.
Both of these are indulgent treats that are sure to hit the spot. Don’t have or want the tequila or sharing with kiddos? No problem!! Eliminate the tequila and you will have some delicious coconut lime cupcakes and frosting!
If you enjoyed the first adventure of a Cocktail and a Cupcake, take a look at some of my other posts:
- Strawberry Gin Cocktail and Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcake
- Classic Daiquiri Cocktail and Daiquiri Cupcakes
- Lilac Cocktail and Lilac Cupcakes
- Gingerbread Martini and Gingerbread Cupcake
Certainly, there will be more Adventures of a Cocktail and a Cupcake this year. So if you love recipes, cocktails and cupcakes sign up for my email list! You can also follow me on Instagram @emilyfabulous_blog and thanks for checking out my site!