A creamy, healthy, and delicious Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup you can make in 45 minutes. All you have to do is chop the vegetables and the electric pressure cooker does the rest. You will want to make this soup all winter long!
Ingredients Needed to Make Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 tbsp butter (or olive oil if making vegan)
- 1 medium onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 butternut squash
- vegetable stock (or chicken stock if not making vegetarian)
- cayenne pepper
- freshly ground nutmeg (or ground nutmeg)
- ground cinnamon
- fresh sage
- fresh oregano
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- heavy cream (can sub coconut milk for vegan)
- pomegranate seeds (optional garnish)
- fresh chives or green onion (optional garnish)
How to Make Butternut Squash Soup in an Electric Pressure Cooker
- Prepare the vegetables.
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE and cook the onions in butter for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Pour in 1 cup stock and use your spoon to scrape off the brown bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Add the squash, carrots, additional stock, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, sage, oregano, salt, and pepper. Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook HIGH for 10 minutes and then manually release the rest.
- In batches, carefully add the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Alternatively, you can use an immersion hand blender right in the Instant Pot.
- Return the soup to the Instant Pot and stir in the heavy cream. Taste for any seasoning needs and add additional salt or pepper if needed.
What to serve with this Instant Pot Soup
If you are making homemade soup, why not make some homemade bread? I have 2 easy bread recipes that go perfectly with this soup, and if you plan ahead, you will have a warming and delicious comfort food meal that you made from scratch. Check out my Dutch Oven Sourdough Bread and my No-Knead Rosemary Bread for the easiest loaf of bread you will ever make!
How many calories in butternut squash soup?
There are 166 calories in 1 serving (1⅔ cups) of butternut squash soup. Butternut squash is known as a cold-weather superfood because it is high in high in many nutrients, including potassium, magnesium, vitamin A, and vitamin C,
Can I freeze butternut squash soup?
You can freeze homemade butternut squash soup in the freezer for up to 6 months in a freezer-safe container. Make sure the soup has fully cooled before freezing and leave room in the container for expansion. For regular leftovers, store the soup covered in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Tools to Make Soup in an Electric Pressure Cooker
More Soup Recipes You Might Like
- Roasted Heirloom Tomato Soup
- Chunky Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Easy Cioppino Seafood Soup
- Tomato and Orange Soup
- Easy French Onion Soup
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- wooden spoon
- blender or immersion/hand blender
- 2 tablespoon butter (or olive oil if making vegan)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 2.5 lb butternut squash
- 1½ cup carrots, cut into sticks or pieces (1-2 carrots)
- 2-3 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock if not making vegetarian)
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg (or ground nutmeg)
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- fresh sage (2 large leaves or 8-10 small leaves)
- ½ teaspoon fresh oregano (leaves removed from stems)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup heavy cream (can sub coconut milk for vegan)
- fresh pomegranate seeds optional garnish
- fresh chives or green onion optional garnish
- Clean, peel and chop the butternut squash into cubes. Chop the onion, garlic, and carrots.
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE and add 2 tablespoon butter. Once the butter has melted, add the onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chopped garlic and cook for an additional minute, stirring often so the garlic doesn't burn.
- Pour in 1 cup stock and use your spoon to scrape off the brown bits off the bottom of the pot. This will enhance the flavor of the soup and make clean-up easier.
- Add the squash, carrots, additional stock, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, sage, oregano, salt, and pepper. Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and close the steam valve. Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook HIGH for 10 minutes. After the cycle is complete, allow the steam to naturally release for 10 minutes and then manually release the rest.
- In batches, carefully add the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Be careful, the ingredients are HOT! Alternatively, you can use an immersion hand blender right in the Instant Pot.
- Return the soup to the Instant Pot and stir in the heavy cream. Taste for any seasoning needs and add additional salt or pepper if needed. Serve with optional garnishes.
- This recipe will yield about 10 cups.
- Store any leftover soup covered in the fridge for 4-5 days or freeze for up to 6 months in a freezer-safe container. Make sure the soup has fully cooled before freezing and leave room in the container for expansion.
- This recipe will work with any type of electric pressure cooker, not just the Instant Pot.
- Always read the instruction manual that came with your Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker and follow all safety guidelines.
Any nutrition calculations are only estimates using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Did you Make This Butternut Squash Soup in the Instant Pot?
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to leave a review below. And if you snap a photo, tag me on Instagram or Facebook!
For even more easy dinner recipes right to your inbox, sign up for my newsletter and follow me on Pinterest to PIN all your favorites!
Nick Patel says
Planning to make this for Thanksgiving. Looks so good. Can I simply double the recipe with the same Instapot 8 minute cooking instructions? Or should I cook in 2 separate batches. Im a novice at pressure cooking. Thanks!
Hello! You can use the same timing for a doubled recipe, just make sure you don't fill your instant pot too full or it will not cook correctly (only fill 2/3 full). Enjoy!
Dennis Littley says
My family loved your butternut soup! It's going on the soup roataion for the winter months!
Yay! Thanks, Dennis!
Delicious soup! Another great way to enjoy butternut squash.
I'm so glad you liked it, Melinda!
Lindsay Howerton-Hastings says
Love this, we ate it last week on a few dreary days and it was so yummy and nourishing!
Awesome! That's what this soup was made for 😁
Gabriela Herrera says
I loved this Butternut Squash soup thank you so much for giving me vegan alternatives. This soup was wonderful and so full of flavor.
I'm so glad you liked it and found the options helpful. Thanks for giving it a try!
super creamy !
This soup looks so good. And I love the pomegranates garnish on the top. Can’t wait to try it.
This recipe looks great, can't wait to try it.
Thanks, Oscar. You will love it!
Emily Krill says
Great recipe! So happy to have something good to make in my new Instant Pot.
This is the perfect recipe to try out your new appliance. Enjoy!
Butternut squash is always a favorite soup ingredient for me, and love the gentle spicing in this version, too.
Thanks for trying this one!
Kristen Wood says
This was so creamy and comforting! We can't wait to make again! Thank you. 🙂
You are so welcome 😊
This Instant pot butternut squash soup looks delicious and comforting.
Amanda Scarlati says
Loved this soup, so easy in the instant pot, thanks!
Instant Pots are the best! I'm so glad you liked it.
This is the perfect soup for a cold, chilly night. Total comfort food!
I totally agree. This soup is on repeat at my house in the winter.
Looks so Hearty and satisfying main meal and it's delicious!
I love butternut squash soup, and this is the first time I've made it in the instant pot. I turned out great! Thanks for sharing.
That's so great to hear, I'm glad you liked it in the instant pot!
This was so easy to make!!
Oh good, so happy to hear it!
This soup is so delicious! And I love how easy it was to make!
Oh good, thanks for making it Lily. I'm so glad you liked it!