Caramel Apple Frosting is the perfect topping for any fall dessert. Made with melted caramel and apple flavoring that will remind you of a caramel apple!
I came up with this recipe because my significant other requested Caramel Apple Frosting for his birthday cupcakes. When I went searching for a recipe, I couldn't find one. There were caramel frosting recipes and caramel apple recipes, but nothing for a frosting.
So, I came up with my own and I must admit, it's REALLY good! The caramel melted in and apple flavoring extract were a perfect combination to make one of the best fall-inspired treats ever!
Ingredients Needed For Caramel Apple Frosting
- cream cheese
- unsalted butter
- vegetable shortening
- apple flavoring
- caramel (melted candy or from a jar)
- heavy cream (if you are using caramel candies)
- confectioners powdered sugar
How to Make Caramel Apple Frosting
- Place the butter, cream cheese, and shortening in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and cream together.
- Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing in each time. Add the apple flavoring and continue mixing.
- For the caramel, if you are using caramel candy, place 8-10 caramel candies in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir and microwave for 20 more seconds if needed. Stir heavy cream into the caramel. If you are using caramel sauce from the jar, warm up in the microwave for about 20 seconds before adding the heavy cream and drizzling in.
- With the mixer on low, drizzle the hot caramel into the frosting as quickly as you can.
- Once everything is incorporated, remove the bowl from the mixer and refrigerate the frosting until you are ready to use it.
Tips for making the Best Caramel Apple Frosting
- This is one of those recipes where the ingredients need to be ROOM TEMPERATURE or you will not get a smooth frosting.
- The caramel step is pretty quick so have everything ready ahead of time. Don't add cold heavy cream to the warm caramel.
- If you get a few pieces of caramel that didn't blend into the frosting, just pick them out (or leave them for a gooey caramel surprise!)
- Because there is cream cheese, butter, and shortening in the frosting, it is pretty soft when you mix it together. As mentioned, store the frosting in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
- If you don't want to use vegetable shortening you could use more butter or cream cheese in its place. However, I find that a small amount helps with the consistency and pipe-ability of the frosting.
- The apple flavoring (pictured below) is very potent so don't use too much!
What Treats to Put this Frosting On
- Pumpkin Molasses Cupcakes
- Apple Cake
- Zucchini Bread
- Pair it with spice cake and make these EASY CAKE BITES!
Caramel Apple Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temp
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temp
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- ¾ teaspoon apple flavoring (I used LorAnn brand)
- ¼ cup liquid caramel (melted candy or from a jar)
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream, room temp or warm
- 6 cups confectioners powdered sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream together the butter, cream cheese, and shortening for about 3 minutes. Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, incorporating fully before adding the next cup. Add the apple flavoring mix in.
- For the caramel, if you are using caramel candy, unwrap 8-10 caramels and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds and remove to stir. If it's needed, microwave for 20 more seconds until all of the caramel is melted together (careful, the bowl is hot!!). Make sure the heavy cream is room temp (or zap in the microwave for 15-20 seconds) and stir it into the caramel. You need the caramel to be pourable. If you are using caramel sauce from the jar, warm up in the microwave for about 20 seconds before adding the heavy cream and drizzling in.
- With the mixer on low, drizzle the hot caramel into the frosting as quickly as you can. The caramel needs to be warm so it will melt into the frosting.
- Once everything is incorporated, remove the bowl from the mixer and place the frosting in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
- Frost right before serving or store frosted treats in the fridge until you are ready to serve them.
Any nutrition calculations are only estimates using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Did you make this Caramel Apple Frosting?
If you make this frosting, tag me on Instagram or Facebook and tell me what you put it on!! I love to see what you are up to in your kitchen.
Don't forget to follow me on Pinterest and sign up for my email list so you never miss a recipe.
Alyssa Hixenbaugh says
I love the flavor combination! I wouldn’t have thought of combining it in a frosting. Thanks for sharing.
Oh, it's a good one, you are welcome!
Sherry Ronning says
I am a professional baker at a casino. This recipe is going to be added to my production list because it looks so easy and delicious. Thank you for sharing!!
Thanks, Sherry! I hope it's a hit, it really is soooo good.
Looks delicious love this caramel apple frosting.
Oh man...my favorite flavors caramel apples...I'm going to be slathering this on EVERYTHING...maybe in a swirl in my oatmeal.
YES, I love that idea!! Slather is a good verb for this frosting...LOL!
Kasy Allen says
Oh, I can't wait to taste these yummy muffins!
The caramel apple frosting looks so yummy. Perfect for the season.
Thank you!! Fall is my second favorite time of year...lol!
I'm dying to try this frosting with an apple recipe! YUM!!
I can't wait until you try it, let me know how it goes!
Amanda Marie Boyle says
This frosting is amazing!
Mmm! I love using LorAnn oils! I have some myself. It for sure amps up the flavor. So good!
This was my first time using LorAnn oils and I was so pleased with the results!
i can think of so many treats to use this for! this will be on repeat all season long!
I agree, there really are so many treats that this frosting would be good on!
Caramel and apple.... can't go wrong with those flavours! Giving it a go this weekend!
It's one of the best combinations in history...LOL! I hope you enjoy it!
Taleen | Just As Tasty says
I love caramel apple ANYTHING so I can't wait to try this frosting!
Then you are going to LOVE This frosting!!
Sue L says
Oh my goodness how amazing! My guy is BIG on caramel anything, so I will score major points with this frosting! Thank you!
Sue, he is going to LOVE this frosting!!