Caramel Apple Frosting
Caramel Apple Frosting is the perfect topping for any fall dessert. Made with melted caramel and apple flavoring that will remind you of a caramel apple!
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click a link and make a purchase, I may receive an affiliate commission at no cost to you. Please see the full disclosure for further information and thank you for your support!
I came up with this recipe because my significant other requested Caramel Apple Frosting for his birthday cupcakes. When I went searching for a recipe, I couldn’t find one. There were caramel frosting recipes and caramel apple recipes, but nothing for a frosting.
So, I came up with my own and I must admit, it’s REALLY good! The caramel melted in and apple flavoring extract were a perfect combination to make one of the best fall-inspired treats ever!
Ingredients Needed For Caramel Apple Frosting
- cream cheese
- unsalted butter
- vegetable shortening
- apple flavoring
- caramel (melted candy or from a jar)
- heavy cream (if you are using caramel candies)
- confectioners powdered sugar
How to Make Caramel Apple Frosting
- Place the butter, cream cheese, and shortening in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and cream together.
- Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing in each time. Add the apple flavoring and continue mixing.
- For the caramel, if you are using caramel candy, place 8-10 caramel candies in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir and microwave for 20 more seconds if needed. Stir heavy cream into the caramel. If you are using caramel sauce from the jar, warm up in the microwave for about 20 seconds before adding the heavy cream and drizzling in.
- With the mixer on low, drizzle the hot caramel into the frosting as quickly as you can.
- Once everything is incorporated, remove the bowl from the mixer and refrigerate the frosting until you are ready to use it.
Tips for making the Best Caramel Apple Frosting
- This is one of those recipes where the ingredients need to be ROOM TEMPERATURE or you will not get a smooth frosting.
- The caramel step is pretty quick so have everything ready ahead of time. Don’t add cold heavy cream to the warm caramel.
- If you get a few pieces of caramel that didn’t blend into the frosting, just pick them out (or leave them for a gooey caramel surprise!)
- Because there is cream cheese, butter, and shortening in the frosting, it is pretty soft when you mix it together. As mentioned, store the frosting in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
- If you don’t want to use vegetable shortening you could use more butter or cream cheese in its place. However, I find that a small amount helps with the consistency and pipe-ability of the frosting.
- The apple flavoring (pictured below) is very potent so don’t use too much!
What Treats to Put this Frosting On
- Pumpkin Molasses Cupcakes
- Apple Cake
- Zucchini Bread
- Pair it with spice cake and make these EASY CAKE BITES!
Caramel Apple Frosting
- microwave-safe bowl
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temp
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temp
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- ¾ teaspoon apple flavoring (I used LorAnn brand)
- ¼ cup liquid caramel (melted candy or from a jar)
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream, room temp or warm
- 6 cups confectioners powdered sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream together the butter, cream cheese, and shortening for about 3 minutes. Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, incorporating fully before adding the next cup. Add the apple flavoring mix in.
- For the caramel, if you are using caramel candy, unwrap 8-10 caramels and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds and remove to stir. If it's needed, microwave for 20 more seconds until all of the caramel is melted together (careful, the bowl is hot!!). Make sure the heavy cream is room temp (or zap in the microwave for 15-20 seconds) and stir it into the caramel. You need the caramel to be pourable. If you are using caramel sauce from the jar, warm up in the microwave for about 20 seconds before adding the heavy cream and drizzling in.
- With the mixer on low, drizzle the hot caramel into the frosting as quickly as you can. The caramel needs to be warm so it will melt into the frosting.
- Once everything is incorporated, remove the bowl from the mixer and place the frosting in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
- Frost right before serving or store frosted treats in the fridge until you are ready to serve them.
Any nutrition calculations are only estimates using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Did you make this Caramel Apple Frosting?
Don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest and sign up for my email list so you never miss a recipe.