These Cherry Crumble Bars are so easy to make and taste like a pie in a bar! This recipe will definitely become one of your favorites for any occasion. Serve warm with ice cream or cold with coffee. Any way you eat them, they are delicious!
We ended up with 36 pounds of fresh cherries (yes, 3-6) this summer and I couldn't wait to make all things cherry. As I was surfing Instagram I came across some Cherry Pie Crumble Bars from @bluebowlrecipes and knew I had to make something similar.
I adapted this recipe to what I had on hand and made a few adjustments. The result was a delicious bar with a cherry almond flavor to die for!!
Ingredients Needed to Make Cherry Crumble Bars
Of course, you will need some fresh cherries that have been cleaned, pitted, and cut in half, about 2½ cups. You will also need some fresh lime juice and butter from the fridge.
From the pantry, you will need quick oats, cornstarch, all-purpose flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, ground cinnamon, fresh nutmeg (or ground nutmeg), almond extract, and salt.
I like to use freshly grated nutmeg in my baking. Fresh nutmeg has a much stronger flavor so a little goes a long way but it really adds to the flavor and aroma. If you don't have fresh nutmeg, ground nutmeg will work just fine.
Other Delicious Fruit Recipes to Check Out
- Lemon Lavender Tart
- Grapefruit Pound Cake
- Easy Passion Fruit Bars
- Fresh Mango Galette
- Coconut Fig Crumble Bars
How to Make Cherry Pie Bars
Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare the baking dish with non-stick spray and/or parchment paper. Combine all of the ingredients for the cherry filling in a bowl, stir together gently to combine, and refrigerate until ready to build the bars.
In another bowl place the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Stir to combine and add the melted butter a little at a time to combine completely with the flour mixture.
Place ⅓ of the crumble mixture in the bottom of the prepared pan and evenly spread it out along the bottom gently pressing with your fingers to create an even crust. Bake the bottom crust for 12 minutes, remove it from the oven, and cool for at least 10 minutes.
Once the crust has cooled, take the cherry mixture out of the fridge and evenly distribute it on the baked bottom. Sprinkle the reserved crumble mixture over the top of the cherries and gently press down to pack in the crumble top.
Bake again for 25 minutes until the topping is slightly brown, but not too much. Remove the pan from the oven and cool the bars in the pan. The bars will be soft when warm and firm up as they cool.
How to Serve These Fruit Bars
You can serve these bars right away after they have a chance to cool for 10-15 minutes. The bars will still be warm and soft and are delicious with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!
If you prefer a firmer bar, allow the bars to cool for 20 minutes on the counter and then place them in the fridge to continue to cool and firm. The firmer version is delicious on its own or served with a cup of coffee or tea the next day.
Fruit Substitutes for These Oat Crumble Bars
The great thing about this recipe is you can use any fruit you want, not just cherries. It would be delicious with blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, peaches, etc.
How to Store Oatmeal Cherry Bars
To store cherry crumble bars, start by allowing them to cool completely at room temperature. Once cooled, place the bars in an airtight container or tightly wrap them with plastic wrap, ensuring a tight seal.
It is best to store the bars in the refrigerator to maintain freshness and extend their shelf life. If storing multiple layers, separate each layer with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
Don't forget to label the container with the date for reference. Enjoy the cherry crumble bars within 3-4 days for the best taste and texture.
Easy Cherry Crumble Bars
- 2½ cups fresh cherries, pitted and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon lemon or lime juice
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups quick oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (or ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted (2 sticks)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare the baking dish with non-stick spray and/or parchment paper. Combine all of the ingredients for the cherry filling in a bowl and stir together gently to combine. Place in the refrigerator until ready to build the bars.
- In another bowl place the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Stir to combine everything. Add the melted butter a little at a time to combine completely with the flour mixture.
- Take ⅓ of the crumble mixture and place it in the bottom of the prepared pan. Evenly spread out along the bottom and gently press with fingers to create an even crust. Bake bottom crust for 12 minutes, remove and cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Once the crust has cooled, take the cherry mixture out of the fridge and evenly distribute it on the baked bottom. Sprinkle the reserved crumble mixture over the top of the cherries and gently press down to pack in the crumble top.
- Bake again for 25 minutes. The topping will brown slightly, but not too much. Remove from oven and cool in the pan. The bars will be soft when warm and more firm when chilled. Enjoy!
Any nutrition calculations are only estimates using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Did you Make These Cherry Crumble Bars?
Thanks for checking out my recipe! If you want more easy and delicious recipes, sign up for my email list and follow me on Pinterest so you never miss a recipe!