These Li Hing Mui Aur Fryer Donuts are as unique as they are tasty. Not only that but they are made from canned biscuits so they couldn't be easier to make! And air frying these donuts makes them a little more healthy and makes clean-up easier.
- Why I Love These Li Hing Mui Air Fryer Donuts
- What is Li Hing Mui Powder?
- How to Make Air Fryer Donuts with Li Hing Sugar
- Ingredients Needed to Make these Li Hing Mui Donuts
- How to get a hole in the biscuit
- What else can you use li hing powder for?
- What Type of Air Fryer I Use for This Doughnut Recipe
- Li Hing Mui Air Fryer Donuts
- Did you make these Li Hing Sugar Donuts?
Why I Love These Li Hing Mui Air Fryer Donuts
Well, I love donuts, so there's that. Plus the li hing powder has such a unique and delicious flavor and it works perfectly with granulated sugar.
I also love anything I can make in my air fryer and anything I can make with pre-made ingredients like canned biscuits. Lastly, using an air fryer instead of oil is healthier and creates less mess.
What is Li Hing Mui Powder?
Li hing mui powder originated in Asia and is made from dried and/or pickled plums that are ground up and combined with salt, sugar, licorice, red food coloring, and sometimes aspartame and/or saccharine.
If you have ever frequented a crack seed store (common in Hawaii), a lot of the sweet and sour goodies they sell have li hing mui powder on them. This flavoring is well-loved throughout the Hawaiian islands and since I now live in Hawaii, it has become a favorite of mine as well!
According to Wikipedia, "Li hing mui, known as huamei in Mainland China, is salty dried Chinese plum (Prunus mume). It has a strong, distinctive flavor and is often said to be an acquired taste, as it has a combination of sweet, sour, and salty taste."
How to Make Air Fryer Donuts with Li Hing Sugar
Start by opening the can of biscuits and allow the biscuits to rest and rise for a few minutes. Create a hole in each of the biscuits using your tool of choice (see suggestions below), and don't forget to save the holes!
Preheat your air fryer for a few minutes at 350°F, then spray the basket with non-stick spray. Place 3-4 donuts and holes in the basket, spray the top of them, and cook each side for 3 minutes, spraying the other side after flipping.
Remove the donuts from the air fryer and allow them to cool. While the donuts are cooling, add the ingredients for the li hing mui sugar into a bowl and whisk to combine.
In another microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. Take one donut and dip it in the butter first, and then place it in the li hing sugar to coat all sides.
Ingredients Needed to Make these Li Hing Mui Donuts
To make these Li Hing Sugar Donuts in the air fryer you will need a can of large flaky biscuits, sugar, li hing mui powder, butter, and an air fryer. That's it!
How to get a hole in the biscuit
Here are a few different tools you might have around your kitchen to make a hole in your doughnut:
- round cookie cutter/biscuit cutter/donut hole cutter
- bottom of a large piping tip (my preferred method)
- the lid of cooking spray (or any round lid with deep sides)
- small shot glass
- round cookie cutter/biscuit cutter/donut hole cutter
- if you can’t find any of these, you can just use a knife
What else can you use li hing powder for?
- Sprinkle on fresh fruit
- Add to shave ice or ice cream
- Mix with your favorite snacks like pretzels, popcorn, or gummy bears
- Mix into a cocktail or juice
What Type of Air Fryer I Use for This Doughnut Recipe
I have a COSORI Air Fryer (shown below) and I love it. However, It does take up some counter space so make sure you have room for it. If you want a smaller option, check out the COSORI Small Air Fryer or an attachment for the Instant Pot.
Li Hing Mui Air Fryer Donuts
- 1 can large flaky biscuits
Li Hing Mui Sugar
- 2 tablespoons li hing mui powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stick butter
- Open the can of biscuits and place them on a non-stick surface (i.e. silicone mat, wax paper, cutting board) and allow them to rise for a few minutes.
- Create a hole in each of the biscuits using your tool of choice. Now you have 8 large donuts and 8 donut holes to air fry.
- Preheat your air fryer for a few minutes at 350°F. Once preheated, spray the basket with non-stick spray, place 3-4 donuts and holes in the basket, and spray the top of them. Cook each side for 3 minutes, spraying the other side after flipping.
- Once the donuts are nice and brown on each side, remove them from the air fryer and allow them to cool. While the donuts are cooking and cooling, make the li hing mui sugar
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the ingredients for the li hing mui sugar into a bowl and whisk to combine. In another microwave-safe mixing bowl, melt the butter in the microwave.
- Take each donut and dip it into the melted butter ensuring all of the sides are coated. Allow the excess butter to drip off and then place the donut in the li hing sugar using a spoon or your fingers to coat all of the sides and nooks.
- Allow the donuts to cool slightly before serving. Store any leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for 1-2 days.
- Always read the instruction manual that came with your Air Fryer and follow all safety guidelines.
Any nutrition calculations are only estimates using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Did you make these Li Hing Sugar Donuts?
If you always want to stay up to date with new recipes, sign up for my email list and follow me on Pinterest!