This Grapefruit Pisco Sour is a citrusy and smooth cocktail made with pisco, freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, and egg white to create a twist on the classic pisco sour. This drink is refreshing and delightful and perfect for an outdoor party or happy hour at home.
What is a Pisco Sour?
The traditional pisco sour has pisco, lime, simple syrup, and egg white. According to Wikipedia, “A pisco sour is an alcoholic cocktail of Peruvian origin that is typical of the cuisines from Peru and Chile. The drink’s name comes from pisco, which is its base liquor, and the cocktail term sour, in reference to sour citrus juice and sweetener components. If you like Pisco Sour cocktails, try some of my other recipes like my Blood Orange Pisco Sour or my Lavender Pisco Sour.
What is Pisco?
Pisco is a brandy from Peru and Chile made from grapes. It reminds me a little of tequila because of the sharp, earthy aroma. It definitely tastes smoother than it smells. The citrus and egg white help balance out the pungent nature of the pisco. The Pisco Sour is the most common drink I know of for this spirit and how I discovered it. I first tried a Pisco Sour at a Peruvian restaurant in San Francisco and it has been a favorite of mine since then.
How to Make a Grapefruit Pisco Sour
- Place all of the ingredients into a cocktail shaker and dry shake for 15-20 seconds.
- Add a scoop of ice to the shaker and shake again for another 15-20 seconds until everything is nice and cold. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into your favorite cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a slice of citrus if desire and enjoy!
Alternative to Using Egg White in a Cocktail
You will not have a traditional Pisco Sour if you do not add an egg white. However, you can still enjoy this cocktail without the egg white. See my notes in the recipe card on the USDA comments on egg whites in the recipe. Not everyone is comfortable adding egg white to their drink, and that’s ok.
An alternative to adding egg white to cocktails is to substitute aquafaba instead. Aquafaba is the “bean liquid” usually from garbanzo beans/chickpeas. It’s gluten-free and dairy-free and an excellent alternative for people with an egg allergy, who don’t consume eggs, or do not want to use raw egg white. Simply substitute 1-2 tablespoon of aquafaba for 1 egg white.
If you omit egg white or the alternative altogether, I would suggest shaking the ingredients in a cocktail shaker and pouring over fresh ice in a glass.
Other Cocktail Recipes To Try
- Strawberry Elderflower Liqueur Cocktail
- Grapefruit Gin Cocktail
- Lemon Curd Cocktail Recipe
- Rosemary Grapefruit Vodka Cocktail
- Lilac Gin Cocktail
Grapefruit Pisco Sour
- 2 ounces Pisco
- 1 ounces grapefruit juice
- 1 ounces lime juice
- ¾ ounces simple syrup
- 1 egg white*
- grapefruit slice or lime wedge garnish (optional)
- Place all of the ingredients into a cocktail shaker and dry shake for 8-10 seconds.
- Add some fresh ice to the shaker and shake again for another 8-10 seconds until everything is nice and cold. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into your favorite cocktail glass. Garnish with a slice of citrus if desired and enjoy!
- *The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) considers it safe to use raw eggs if they are pasteurized. Bottom Line: Raw eggs may contain a type of pathogenic bacteria called Salmonella, which can cause food poisoning. However, the risk of an egg being contaminated is quite low. Please proceed at your own risk and decide if you are ok with this. I have never had an issue.
Any nutrition calculations are only estimates using online calculators. Please verify using your own data.
Did you Make This Grapefruit Pisco Sour?
If you make this Grapefruit Pisco Sour Cocktail, don't forget to leave a comment below. You can also tag me on Instagram or Facebook and show me your drink! If you want more fun cocktail and food recipes, follow me on Pinterest and sign up for my email list so you never miss a recipe!
I had to Google pisco:) and apparently is not easily found in the UK. But your cocktail looks so lush! Something I would love to have on a summer night.
Oh, what a bummer. But, if you ever find some, grab because it is quite delicious.😁
something that I can share again with friends who likes to try new drinks!
This is the perfect cocktail for that, cheers 🥂!
I’ve never heard of using aquafaba in a drink before. I can’t wait to try this!
Oh yes, it’s quite good and the perfect egg what alternative. Let me know what you think!
Cindy Mom the Lunch Lady says
This cocktail looks so refreshing. I love grapefruit flavored drinks on a hot day!
Grapefruit anything on a hot day works for me, especially this drink 😁.
This looks really forbidden! Delicious! I have to try it absolutely!
Yes to all of that, give it a try!!
Chef Dennis says
This Grapefruit Pisco Sour surely made me feel refreshed!
Glad to hear it, Dennis. It's a good one!
Oh wow...this cocktail sounds amazing and looks refreshing. Love the combination of grapefruit here, too
It's all of the above!!😁
This was so delicious and very tasty! My hubby enjoyed this recipe the other night! Definitely a hit and I’ll be making this again!
It's always great to find a delicious cocktail that you and your husband enjoy. Cheers!
My first time making this cocktail and it turns out great! So refreshing and it has the perfect combination of flavors!
I'm glad you liked it, Jo 🙂.
I was looking for a fun cocktail to make for my upcoming girls trip! This looks perfect!
You guys are gonna love this one! Enjoy 😁
Looks delicious and perfect for summer!
Grapefruit is a perfect twist on a pisco sour. Sounds marvelous!
Thanks, Julie, it's a great combo.
This looks so refreshing with the fresh grapefruit juice and the frothy egg white on top looks so fun! I need to try this one!
I hope you get a chance to make this one, it's delicious! Cheers!